Remember when...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Not Just Any Graduate

For those of you who know me well, you know that I don't use the word miracle often. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of miracles that I think I have witnessed. At a later day, I may reference the others but now I want to recognize this sweet event. Cousin Lauren graduated from nursing school at Baylor University just a few weeks ago. Just over four years ago, we were saying good-bye to her in the Ben Taub ER as she lay comatose, suffering from a brain aneurysm. I remember stroking her limp hand as her beautiful fair eyes rolled back into her head, tubes connected to every open space and her hair shaved where the shunt had been placed to relieve the pressure/fluids. I remember we all prayed and prayed and prayed for a miracle...
 All on Earth were unsure of her recovery as Lauren regained consciousness and at the time it was clear there would be many deficits to overcome. But she was never alone...
Lauren reeducated herself on all levels.  And she was always loved...
 The longer the healing process, the harder simple life skills became to remaster.  And she was always prayed for...
 Lauren was driven to complete her goal of nursing school, hard enough for most people, let alone one recovering from brain trauma.  And she was always supported...
 I think it is easy to take life for granted, all the little things that we appreciate.  I know that I do.  I don't think that makes us bad, just fallen. 
Thankfully, GOD will never leave our side.
It is His promise.

3 comments:

The Parks said...

So excited for her and so moved by your post. She has done so many amazing things!

Jael said...

Well said Kathlene... Not everyone gets to witness a miracle! Love her:)

Greatest Aunt Susan said...

Thank you for highlighting "the miracle in our midst..."!!